Jennifer L. Cole
MA, CCC, MACA, SEP
I received my undergraduate degree in Applied Human Sciences and Theological Studies in Montreal. I then went on to serve college students and staff for 12 years in a parachurch organization. I hold a Master of Arts degree in Counselling and I have been practicing counselling therapy since 2006 in various parts of Canada, the United States, and Australia. I, like you perhaps, am no stranger to emotional and relational pain. I bring perspective to counseling from a range of professional as well as personal experiences.
I have recently embarked on a Doctor of Ministry degree in Spiritual Formation and Direction. My research interests include looking at the impact of early trauma on spiritual formation--essentially how inter-generational and early trauma impacts our embodied knowing of ourselves and the Holy Spirit. I enjoy travel and I have a 'wonder' and 'curiosity' for life and people! At home I enjoy hosting and feeding family, friends, and sometimes strangers. I love bird watching and I have two very sweet dogs.
My counselling style is highly relational, non-judgemental, and empathic: I am a client centered therapist. I believe that each person carries within themselves the blueprint for healing and recovery.
I work from a holistic perspective in that not only do I work with the mind and emotions, but I also work somatically (with sensation in the body). I love to work with trauma, especially developmental and complex trauma, as these are formative experiences which impact our relationships.
With couples and families, I work from a family systems and somatic attachment-based paradigm. I enjoy working in inter-cultural and cross-cultural settings. Other therapeutic modalities I draw on include Internal Family Systems and Narrative Therapy.
- Pre-marital and marriage counseling
- Infidelity and/or betrayal
- Domestic violence and abuse
- Family of origin issues
- Grief and loss
- Trauma (pre- and peri-natal, developmental, complex, shock, etc.)
- Spiritual formation and direction
- Inter-cultural and cross-cultural issues.
Education, Certifications & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Theological Studies and Applied Human Sciences
- Master of Arts in Counselling
- Somatic Experiencing Practitioner (SEP)
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCC #3224)
- The Association of Counselling Therapists of Alberta (ACTA #2430)
- The Australia Counselling Association (MACA level 4 #17077)
- PSI CHI - The International Honour Society in Psychology
- SMART Recovery
- ENRICH Canada – prepare and enrich for marriage
- Externship in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
- Certificate in Narrative Therapy (Narrative Practices Adelaide SA)
- Intercultural Competency Inventory Qualified Administrator