Ricardo "Ricky" Aguilar grew up in Quito, Ecuador with his parents and 3 brothers. His father was a pastor which provided Ricky with a unique perspective on the ins and outs of ministry life. Ricky completed both his B.S. in Counselling Psychology and M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy in the United States. Ricky has spent a number of years helping youth and also works for the Boys and Girls club starting up a Family Therapy program for lower income families. He currently lives in Kelowna with his beautiful wife and they are raising their young family.
Ricky operates from a systemic perspective which means that he views everyone in the context of their larger environment; each person is influenced by everyone around them and every context they live in. Therefore, he loves working with families and couples.
Ricky believes that unprocessed emotions are at the root of many problems and challenges that individuals and couples face. Processing these emotions helps individuals and families become more present with one another and open to connection. He uses the systemic approaches of Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), Emotionally Focussed Family Therapy (EFFT), Internal Family Systems (IFS), Structural Family Therapy and other attachment based interventions.
Ricky is able and excited to provide psychotherapy in both English, Spanish and if need be, Spanglish!
- Family relationships
- Couples counselling
- Mental health
- Adolescents and young adults
- Crisis and trauma
Education, Certifications & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Counselling Psychology
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Registered Clinical Counsellor with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (RCC #16512)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) Externship Training Level 1
- Emotionally Focused Family Therapy (EFFT) Basic Training Certificate
- EFFT Advanced Training Certificate
- ”Looking into the Abyss” Verbal and Emotional Trauma Training